Companies in the construction sector that specialise in floor and surface treatments generate a large quantity of fine, harmful dusts through the use of machinery and tools such as sanders, scarifiers, cutters and shot peening machines. The fine dust generated by cement, concrete, marble, wood, metal, aluminium, gypsum and granite can pose a serious threat to workers’ health. In combination with individual protective gear, the best solution lies in construction site vacuum cleaners, which are fundamental for sucking up the dust at source, as it is generated, and preventing it from being released back into the work environment.
FLOOR AND SURFACE TREATMENT: A VERY DUSTY INDUSTRY
In the various phases of ground preparation, which make it suitable and prepared for the laying of the final covering, multiple working steps may be necessary, with one or more types of machinery to equalise, remove impurities, or give the ground a particular finish. Many of these operations create dust, which represents a serious danger for the operators.
THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH SURFACE TREATMENT AND CONSTRUCTION DUST
Often, when we talk about risks on construction sites, we only focus on the risk of accidents, leaving aside the respiratory or skin diseases that can result from continuous exposure to fine and harmful dust.
The risks are particularly high when working on surfaces that can generate certain types of typically harmful dust. The chemical risk, for example, manifests itself in an important way when dealing with:
- Silica, which by definition is a mixed powder containing variable amounts of free crystalline silica, which can be produced during various processes, such as the preparation of mortar and concrete and/or during demolition operations
- Asbestos, which becomes highly harmful when it is transformed into dust and diffused into the atmosphere by the abrasive action of the machine and/or tool.
- Artificial mineral fibres, such as thermo-acoustic insulation such as glass and rock wool.
Most countries have defined specific legal regulations - mainly BGIA in Europe, OSHA / Silica in North America - that guarantee the minimum safety standards to be adopted in the presence of these dusts and outline the safety devices to be used.
Suction at the point of dust generation is always among the recommended precautions.
WHICH MACHINES REQUIRE THE USE OF DUST EXTRACTORS?
Some of the machines used for processing in the flooring sector do not require the use of dust extractors, as they do not create dust or are already equipped with integrated extraction systems. However, the majority require a source extraction system to prevent the fine dust created from dispersing into the environment.
- Vacuum cleaners for sanders: the abrasive effect of sanding develops a significant amount of dust that requires high filtration capacity.
- Vacuum cleaners for milling machines: the engraving activity releases an average quantity of dust that requires excellent suction and filtration performance in order not to be dispersed in the environment.
- Vacuum cleaners for shot blasting machines: used to remove impurities, they need vacuum cleaners that are able to remove the lightest material without removing the steel balls used from the cycle.
- Vacuum cleaners for hand tools: they require continuous suction during use, for which small vacuum cleaners with excellent filtration performance are required.
INDUSTRIAL VACUUM CLEANERS FOR FINE, HAZARDOUS DUSTS
Using an industrial vacuum cleaner for fine dusts on the construction site instead of a traditional commercial vacuum cleaner, in combination with protective work gear, is the ideal solution for this type of problem.
The most important features to look out for when choosing this type of industrial vacuum cleaner are:
1. Absolute HEPA - H14 certified filters: up to 0.18 microns with 99.995% efficiency
2. Continuous and effective filter cleaning systems
3. Secure collection systems for the vacuumed dust (such as the Endless Bag collection system)
4. Compactness and transportability
CERTIFIED FILTRATION OF CATEGORY M AND H
The vacuum cleaner must ensure the release of clean air into the environment for the protection of the operators.
The main filters, composed of class M filtering media, are coated with a PTFE membrane that facilitates the detachment of fine dust and helps to maintain constant suction performance over time. In addition, it is always recommended the addition of HEPA H14 filters, able to filter even finer dust (0.18 microns with 99.995% efficiency) and ensure that no particles can reach the engines and consequently are returned to the environment.
Automatic filter cleaning systems help maintain performance and extend product autonomy and service life.
Endless Bag COLLECTION SYSTEM AND TELESCOPIC SYSTEM WITH GAS SPRINGS
Continuous bagging system of 20 meters that allows adjusting weight and length as needed, totally preventing contact between the fine powder and the operator. Simple, reliable, safe!
The telescopic system with gas springs allows reducing the height of the vacuum cleaner for easier loading, unloading, and handling on vehicles where space is limited.
202 DS Endless Bag INDUSTRIAL VACUUM CLEANER
An industrial vacuum cleaner with 2 motors for construction sites, compact, with reduced height for greater transportability, large polyester filter with Dustop semi-automatic cleaning system, and Endless Bag collection bag.
- Compact and handy
- Telescopic frame for easy transport
- Suitable for suctioning very fine dust thanks to M PTFE filtration
DG EXPORT PN VACUUM CLEANER
Powerful vacuum cleaner, with side channel turbine or double brushless motor, large filtering surface area and automatic filter cleaning system.
- Powerful motors suitable for continuous work
- Large cartridge filters with automatic filter cleaning
- Wide choice of motorization and absolute filtration
DM3 Endless Bag INDUSTRIAL VACUUM CLEANER
An industrial vacuum cleaner with 3 motors for the construction industry, with adjustable height for greater transportability, large pocket filter, and Endless Bag collection bag.
- 3 powerful single-phase motors
- Large star filter with manual filter cleaning
- Endless Bag safe collection bag